Dane Buy Local Movement Grows Stronger
Founded in 2004, Dane Buy Local is a coalition of local independent businesses, organizations, and citizens in and around Dane County, Wisconsin, acting in alliance to keep our communities prosperous and sustainable. Member companies range from financial professionals to restaurants to automotive dealerships to home and garden.
Today, Dane Buy Local is more than 600 members strong – one of the five largest buy local groups in the country – and is more committed than ever to its core focus of creating education and awareness on the importance of buying local. How much of an impact has Dane Buy Local had? Check out these staggering statistics from an economic study* for 2011.
- 4,277 full-time employees work for Dane Buy Local members.
- 467 new full-time jobs were created by members in 2011 alone, increasing the local business workforce by 11 percent.
- Dane Buy Local members paid approximately $85 million in salaries in 2011.
- Members spent 178,330 volunteer hours supporting Dane County and surrounding communities.
- $2,393,606 was contributed to non-profits by Dane Buy Local members in 2011.
- Businesses paid $9,153,616 in state and local taxes. $73 of every $100 spent at a locally owned business stays in the local economy, compared to $43 from a non-local business.
Even the Dane County Board of Supervisors passed a resolution supporting the county’s participation in the program, an extremely unusual move for a government body, further illustrating the organization’s incredible support throughout the Dane County area.
Despite this track record of success, Dane Buy Local is not resting on its laurels. The organization continues to grow and as it strives to enrich the local economy, keep the county original and unique, provide more employment opportunities, ensure a foundation for local non-profits and create good places to work.
Find out more about Dane Buy Local and join EZ Office Products in thinking local first!
*Source: Sun Prairie Star Online, April 13, 2012