Read More >>
This is where a gratitude list comes in.
A gratitude list is not just a physical list. A gratitude list is a collection of emotions put to life on paper. It is a technique that can shift your attitude and enlighten your mood. I know it does mine. For example, as I sit and write this, a few things I am grateful for today come to mind, so why not record them?
- I am grateful my husband still ranks as the Triple G (Good Guy Gary) with my family and me. As a matter of fact, he’ll sends me a YouTube song to keep me going while I organize ACA tax forms late at night. This time around it’s “I’ll Never Find Another You” by The Seekers.
- I am thankful for the gift of work. Work inspires me and keeps me busy, even though it may cause me sleepless nights.
- I am grateful for my sixteen nieces and nephews. They might not know it but they’re my heart and soul. (A grateful thanks to Abigail for her lovely sentiments on Facebook the other night, to Heather who popped in my cell out of the blue with the sweetest text, and to Ben who took time out of his own busy day to leave a voicemail.)
- I am thankful for the clear starry night, albeit a little chilly here in Madison, WI. It helps clear my mind and slow down my thoughts.
You see? There is so much love and beauty around us. We should recognize it all the time, not just on Thanksgiving! In fact, you can even elaborate or get creative with your gratitude lists by drawing or scribbling your thoughts, adding reasons to what your are thankful for or writing your list in short poems. Just be sure to revisit it often, and smile as you do. Here are my top five reasons for creating gratitude lists:
- They can change my outlook from negative to positive in the blink of an eye.
- In a world that can truly be terrifying, it helps me focus on the beauty.
- I am empowered to step away from my day to day (and any stress that might be in it) to focus on the good things.
- It helps me discover that there is no end to the happiness I can feel nor the gratitude I can express.
- The lists infuse my life with positivity, creativity and vibrancy.
What are your reasons? Give this simple exercise a try. You won’t need luck; just open your eyes to all that is around you.