Read More >>
Here are nine ways to be happier at work.
- Enjoy your morning coffee. Instead of gulping it as you rush from your desk to the printer to the first meeting of the day, sit down for a few minutes and enjoy it.
- Help someone. It doesn’t have to be something major. Do a simple favor, like grabbing someone’s papers from the printer or offering to get them a cup of coffee. Not only does it make you feel happy to help people, but it inspires the people you’ve helped to help others.
- Set smaller goals. By breaking long-term goals into smaller, bite-sized chunks, you can achieve meaningful “wins” more frequently. Progress and success make people happy.
- Make your workspace your own. Display photos of people who make you happy. Decorate. Buy plants. Make sure you’re comfortable. Your personal workspace should be your happy place at work.
- Make a friend. This one can be difficult depending on the size of your office, but it always helps to have a go-to co-worker who you can laugh with, share with, vent to and help. Having a strong support system makes work more enjoyable.
- Take a break. And not just at lunch. Walk outside and get some fresh air for five minutes. Give your batteries a quick recharge a few times each day.
- Take a vacation. Shame on managers who discourage you from taking every vacation day to which you’re entitled. People who take vacations return to work energized, more positive and more productive.
- Eat healthy. Generally speaking, the vending machine is not a good source of nutritious meals. A good diet can boost your energy level, improve your attitude, and reduce headaches and fatigue.
- Avoid negativity. Much of what makes people unhappy at work can be avoided. Don’t allow yourself to get stuck in conversations with people who do nothing but gossip, complain, scapegoat, and act like the world is always crumbling around them.
What about you? What are your tips for becoming happier at work?