May is National Small Business Month, when we honor local folks who turn the dream of owning a business into reality. It’s a dream that takes courage, sacrifice, hard work and a belief in both oneself and one’s community. EZ Office Products believes the best way to recognize small business is to buy or source products and services locally.Read More >>
Why buy local?
- More money stays in your community, including tax dollars, which are used to improve infrastructure and education to benefit everyone. As the local economy grows, more jobs are created. And we all know that small local businesses are the biggest job creators nationwide. In fact, recent local survey results prove that among the members of our own Dane Buy Local alone, our workforce has grown 11%. And that doesn’t even include all the small businesses in our region who have yet to become members of Dane Buy Local.
- When you support local, independent businesses, you help to create an identity for your community. These one-of-a-kind retail stores, restaurants, service providers and entertainment venues create a one-of-a-kind community with character and style that inspires innovation.
- Two of the biggest but often overlooked beneficiaries of buying local are non-profits and the environment. Local businesses are much more likely to give back to local charities and less transportation from out-of-town means less traffic and less pollution in our environment.
- Buying local is an investment in the well-being of your community. Instead of trying to put someone out of business, a business owner with local roots benefits by helping their fellow local business owners thrive.
- Local business owners are more in tune with your needs. They have the same challenges. They drive the same roads, shop at the same stores, eat at the same restaurants and join in the same school gyms and auditoriums where their kids play sports, put on band concerts and perform in plays. Instead of applying a cookie cutter approach from a distant corporate office, a local business develops solutions to solve a problem or fill a need that’s specific to people in your community.
Why is buying local so important to us?
When EZ Office Products was first founded, it was inspired by local businesses and created as an alternative to the big box stores. That’s why we don’t just sell office supplies and solutions to local businesses. We make purchases from local businesses every day and stand side-by-side with charitable organizations that do such great work. We’re proud to be a member of Dane Buy Local, one of the largest “buy local” organizations in the entire country.
More than smart business, buying local is the best way for members of the Dane County community to help and support each other. We enjoy doing business with neighbors and friends. Who wouldn’t?